40. There’s such a lot of it about.
Continuing the biblical theme of recent posts, it appears the editors of religious texts had something to get off their chests.
It was the number 40.
We have, in no particular order:
- God made it rain for 40 days and 40 nights.
- Moses spent 40 days on Mount Sinai, kicking the tyres with God.
- Eiljah walked to Mount Horeb and it took him 40 days and nights.
- Jesus fasted for 40 days.
- Jesus was in the tomb for 40 hours before disappearing, though he was seen by some in spirit form for 40 days afterwards.
- Jonah gave the city of Nineveh 40 days to repent.
- Hebrews wandered aimlessly for 40 years trying to find the promised land.
Conversely, there’s very little reference in the Bible to WD-40, which is a crying shame because it’s more use at starting your car on a damp morning than prayer.